As a kid I was not fond of okra (lady finger). This could be because of its slimy texture. I don't remember exactly how and when, but over the years I started liking it as a vegetable. I started searching recipes to cook okra in various ways. Okra is a wonderful vegetable when you cook it right and there are many recipes to cook it. Stuffed okra is a common method to cook okra in India and the recipe makes perfectly cooked okra without slime. I found beautiful baby okra at the farmer's market this year and decided to make stuffed okra.
- 1 lb okra
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 4 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 teaspoons SpiceMiss garam masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing) - optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt per taste
- Wash the okra pods and pat them completely dry. Then trim the top and bottom off. Make a slit in the middle of each okra creating a pocket to stuff the stuffing. Do not split the okra in half.
- To make the stuffing, combine together the flours, spices, salt, and sugar. Add the lemon juice and cilantro in the flour mixture.
- After combining all the ingredients, taste the stuffing and adjust the seasonings accordingly.
- Fill the stuffing carefully in each okra slit.
- After the okras are stuffed, heat a pan on medium heat. Add the oil to the pan.
- Arrange the stuffed okra in the hot pan, sprinkle a pinch of salt and cook them uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes depending on their size. Turn them in between so they will cook from all sides.
- Serve hot okra as a side dish or with naan.
Mix all the ingredients to make the stuffing
After adding the lemon juice
Stuff the okra and arrange it in the pan
A cook's note:
There are other variations to make the stuffing. Here are my suggestions:
- You can use ground peanut instead of almond flour.
- Use a mixture of sautéd onion+tomato+bread crumbs to stuff the okra.